Nick leads education projects in our Plymouth office, focusing on the design and coordination side of delivery.
As chair of the South West Access Forum, he specialises in providing inclusive environments for all by improving disability access. A busy man, Nick also sits on the Devon and Somerset Design Review Panel and is looking to extend his expertise by joining further RIBA research groups.
As joint chair of RIBA Plymouth (alongside Sarah Lee) between 2016-2020, Nick established close links with Plymouth University School of Architecture’s professional practice programme.
Nick, what is the role of an architect?
Architecture is important because the built environment has an effect on everybody’s lives. It is instrumental in forming the environment in which we all live and that is an incredibly inspiring thing to be part of.
What’s your favourite project you’ve worked on to date?
Watergate Bay Hotel. We extended its facilities and added a new indoor swimming pool, spa and wedding venue. It was a very interesting project to be involved in, involving cutting edge design that was both technically challenging and in a very prominent location. The original Victorian building has been altered significantly over the years and presented many technical challenges.
Why did you choose a career in architecture?
It started with my parents. They built their own home back in the 60’s, so I grew up in a unique house. They extended it when I was seven years old and I was really excited by all the building work going on.
I’ve always been interested in historic buildings, as I grew up going to school in a medieval building. For me, architecture was a career that combined my main interests of art, science and psychology.
Interesting fact that nobody knows about you?
When I was younger I won a national painting competition, with the prize to see the Mary Rose ship being lifted out of Portsmouth harbour. It was very exciting and an award winning museum has now been established to exhibit it.
- Chair for the South West Access Forum
- Member of the Devon & Somerset Design Review Panel
- Former chair for the RIBA Plymouth Branch (shared with Sarah Lee)
Watergate Bay Hotel:
- Winner of the Best Tourism & Leisure Building at the RICS South West & Wales Awards 2013
Brixham Fish Market:
- Winner of the South West Local Authority Building Control (Building Excellence Best Large Commercial Development) 2011
- Winner of the South West Local Authority Building Control (Building Excellence Chairman’s Award) 2010
- Finalist for the Michelmores Commercial Property Award 2012
- Finalist for the RICS South West Awards 2012
- Finalist for the National Local Authority Building Control Awards 2011