Town Planning are part of an integrated studio working closely with Masterplanning, Urban Design and Landscape Architect colleagues.
The Planning Team are engaged in a wide range of commissions for both private, public, voluntary and government clients, across all key development sectors.
We are proud of our achievements and were delighted to be recognised as the 2013 Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) National Award Winner for excellence in the Built Environment and Heritage category for our involvement in designing and delivering the £23m mixed use Heartlands regeneration scheme in Cornwall.
As a National Town Planning Consultancy of the Year 2016 Finalist, we are delighted that our experiences, approach and successes have been recognised by the Royal Town Planning Institute.
The majority of our work generally falls into five key areas:
Managing Planning Application Strategies
Planning Assessments and Land Promotion
Major planning submissions
Stride Treglown Town Planning has managed a wide range of planning applications across a number of development sectors. We have secured planning permission for, or are working on schemes which have also enabled the sale of land to maximise capital receipts on disposal:
- We prepared a 20 year Masterplan and secured outline planning permission in 2015 for a net increase of 55,000m2 of new build academic accommodation and 2,650 student study bedrooms involving a predominantly green belt site within the grounds of the Grade 1 Listed Building at Royal Holloway, University of London in Egham. We have since secured the permission for the first projects generated by the Masterplan.
- We secured a hybrid planning permission in October 2015 for the £150m new Critical Treatment Hospital and Cancer Treatment Centre for Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. We worked with architectural colleagues and BDP architects, collated the Environmental Impact Assessment process and collation of the Environmental Statement and led a public and stakeholder engagement strategy prior to submission.
- A mixed use urban extension of Paignton in Devon comprising 350 homes, 36,000m2 of employment space, a local retail centre, student accommodation, energy centre and extensive landscaping and public open space. The permission enabled the client to sell the land to Linden Homes.
- Working for the University of Wales Trinity Saint David, we prepared an edge of City Centre mixed use waterfront masterplan extending over the former Swansea Docks. With a university at its heart, the masterplan represents a major regeneration scheme of sub-regional importance. The Masterplan underpinned a variation of condition application to amend an extant outline planning permission.
- We are currently engaged to secure outline planning permission for the redevelopment of Plymouth University’s Rolle Campus in Exmouth, underpinned by our residential led mixed use masterplan involving employment, training and community uses. We managed a Stakeholder engagement and public consultation strategy in advance of a submission in November 2015.
- Working for East Devon District Council, we prepared a mixed use leisure based Masterplan and secured outline planning permission (including coordinating the Environmental Impact Assessment) for the redevelopment of the Queens Drive Leisure Area (3ha) in Exmouth, in readiness of the disposal of the site to the market.
- We secured a hydrid permission in 2014 for 130 homes and extensive improvements to an existing area of public open space on behalf of Bristol City Council and Knightstone Housing Association.
- We secured planning permission for the development of 1,860 student accommodation bedrooms within the University of Reading, where we also lead the wider masterplanning process for the delivery of multiple academic, welfare and production facilities. We are currently engaged to secure permission for the next phase of 1,000 bedrooms on site.
- The development of School Playing Fields for Grenville College in Bideford, enabling the sale of land to Redrow Homes. The resultant scheme enabled funds to support school amalgamation and provide enhanced sporting facilities. We also secured residential permission for a second site to enable a sale. The two sites have a combined capacity of approximately 400 units.
Other Notable Major Projects
- Multiple listed building and planning applications leading to the RTPI National Award winning delivery of the Heartlands Regeneration Scheme in Cornwall for Cornwall Council.
- 200 unit residential scheme at Trevarner Farm, Wadebridge.
- Securing planning permission for the UK Headquarters Office of a US owned pharmaceutical company in Dorset.
- North West Batch Schools: six concurrent applications for Morgan Sindall across five Local Planning Authorities.
- Planning advice to Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) in relation to its PFI and subsequent development requirements.
- The £150m redevelopment of RAF Northolt (Project MoDEL) where we were appointed to coordinate reserved matters submissions.
- The Weymouth and Portland Sailing Academy, a multi-million pound venue for the sailing events of the 2012 Olympics.
- Numerous school, operational healthcare and student accommodation schemes across the UK.
In the majority of cases, Stride Treglown have been requested to form and lead the project team, coordinating all work programmes for the client body.
Environmental Impact Assessment co-ordination
We have coordinated the preparation of numerous Environmental Impact Assessments in support of planning applications or Masterplans. These include:
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David – SA1 Waterfront Innovation Quarter, Swansea: mixed use, edge of city centre masterplan and planning application (2015).
- Hampshire Hospital NHS Foundation Trust new Critical Treatment Hospital and Cancer Treatment Centre, Basingstoke (2015).
- Royal Holloway University of London Masterplan and outline planning application (2014).
- White Rock Urban Extension: Masterplan and outline application (for Abacus / Deeley Freed) (2011).
- East Devon District Council, Queens Drive Leisure Area: Masterplan and outline application (2013).
- Corsham Establishment Development Plan for the Ministry of Defence.
We are fully conversant with EIA Regulations and prepare strategic advice, screening and scoping opinions in relation to Schedule 2 development projects.
Development in sensitive locations
We have a considerable experience in dealing with heritage planning issues including listed buildings, locally listed buildings and development in Conservation Areas. Our recent experience includes delivering the Heartlands project in Cornwall (Listed building complex within a World Heritage Site), and developing masterplanning proposals within the grounds of a Grade 1 listed building at Royal Holloway. Other commissions involve sites with wildlife habitats, SSSI’s, AONB’s and other environmental designations, where we have regard to their function and importance. We work closely with environmental consultants, more often than not appointing them to the project team, to inform the clients and assist the delivery of a robust planning strategy.
Planning Obligations – Drafting and Negotiations
Our experience in managing and negotiating Planning Obligations with Local Planning Authorities as part of a number of development projects places us in a strong position to consider the phased and cumulative impact of proposals and the nature and extent of works that seek to mitigate against those impacts. Phased planning obligations, or those linked to a sliding scale, are considered, wherever possible, in order to monitor actual impacts and refine obligations accordingly. We also consider potential planning conditions prior to submissions to ease the determination process by addressing issues “up-front”.
Appeals and expert witness
We are fully conversant with appeals procedures, pursuing written representation, informal hearings and inquires. We do, however, pride ourselves on securing planning permission “first time around” rather than rely on the appeals procedure to resolve issues of principle or design detail.
Expert witness at inquiries / appeals
The senior members of the Town Planning team can demonstrate both Planning and other Inquiry experience, including Compulsory Purchase Order Appeals. We can also draw upon our experience in presenting Planning and Development Trend information at a number of local Magistrates and County Courts in relation to Betting Licence applications and objector appeals for William Hill. This role, which is subject to Barrister/QC cross examination requires the preparation of Town Centre Health checks and geo-demographic research.
As a member of the Judging Panel this year, I have been impressed by the excellent planning work of many kinds going on all over the region. All the entries have been of a high standard, but, on balance, Heartlands, which has so many different facets to it, stands out as the overall winner.
RTPI Awards Panel
Our skill sets are ideally utilised to manage our design teams and the input of multi-disciplinary consultants in the preparation of large scale masterplans. We have developed a tried and tested robust methodology which involves Initial Site Analysis, Strategic Options and Development of the Preferred Option stages. We ensure that spatial strategies are coherent, in accordance with planning policies, or are otherwise justifiable, and that deliverables are prepared in such a way as can be used for later formal planning submissions. Our Town Planning team has led and co-ordinated major masterplanning schemes with a cumulative construction value of over £2bn: many of these leading to outline and detailed planning applications.
- White Rock Urban Extension, Devon (£100m capital construction value)
- Frenchay Hospital Redevelopment (Outline Business Case for North Bristol NHS Trust)
- University of Reading Whiteknights Development Plan (£250m)
- University of Chichester Masterplan (£75m)
- University of the West of England New Campus Masterplan (2009: £400m, 2012: £250m)
- Royal Holloway University of London (c£250m)
- Swansea Gower College redevelopment
- Clevedon Hall Mixed Use Redevelopment Scheme
- Cardiff Central Square Masterplan (£200m: project halted due to Council elections)
- Over a dozen Establishment Development Plans for operational military sites.
Consultation procedures will vary according to the nature of the project, the planning status of the site and the local area. We have, and continue to, adopt a flexible approach to consultation with local groups and the public. We have attended and presented complex and controversial proposals to public meetings, prepared and managed exhibitions and evaluated responses in a way that is now being promoted by a Local Planning Authority as a “best practice” in their area.
Our approach, where applicable, also analyses past consultation responses to understand the nature of the past problems in order to seek solutions that break down these barriers to allow redevelopment schemes to proceed.
We have prepared approximately 1,850 planning, listed building, advertisement and inclusive access applications for a major UK bank, securing a 99.3% overall success rate. We have built working relationships with many English and Welsh Planning Authorities and have prepared comprehensive databases to collate client property information as well as “tracker” reports to inform the client, contractors and managing agents in relation to the progress of multiple, simultaneous planning applications.
Stride Treglown undertook a series of national portfolio commissions for Barclays Bank PLC., requiring us to submit in the order of 2,000 individual planning, listed building, advertisement consent, highways consent and plant and machinery applications. We achieved a 99.3% success rate, and subsequently won a number of planning appeals where applications were originally refused.
We have secured planning permission for numerous Primary Schools; operational Healthcare (for both Hospital Trusts private healthcare providers), Military facilities and prisons (several of which involving sensitive heritage issues to resolve); student accommodation schemes; crematoria; and academic and associated facilities for Universities across the UK.
Town Planning Projects
- Civic, Community & Culture
- Hotels & Leisure
- Non-urban Living
- Office and Workplace
- Public Clients
- Residential Masterplanning
- Student Living