Stride Treglown staff across the UK celebrated Employee Ownership Day 2018 with slices of pie; an apt metaphor for a piece of the action, a share of the rewards, and the chance to influence their practice.
Formed in 1953 and currently employing over 320 staff, we began our employee-ownership journey in 2015, with Chairman David Hunter commenting:
“The culture of our Stride Treglown has always been collaborative. We listen to new ideas and put people first, so employee ownership was a logical step forward.”
We see it is a strong part of how we can continue the long-term success of the practice, while empowering and engaging staff. We have developed clear routes for employee-owners to feed back into the business decision-making processes and currently, around 70% of staff have bought shares; a number we are looking to increase.
Our key employee ownership facts are:
- Around 70% of our staff have purchased shares in the company.
- The number of shares owned outside the Board of Directors rose to over 25% in 2017.
- We created an Employee Forum to provide a platform for staff to ask questions, provide feedback and make suggestions on how we can further develop our employee-ownership journey.
- Our 2017 survey found that just over 90% of our staff are positive about increased employee ownership.
Deb Oxley, CEO for the EOA, said:
- “Companies such as Stride Treglown are great examples of the economic and social benefits that can be achieved in an employee owned environment.”
The benefits of employee ownership have been proven in EOA-led research, and include improving employee health and wellbeing, increasing productivity and fostering creativity. In addition:
- UK employee owned companies contribute over £30 billion to the UK economy annually.
- Employee-owners have higher levels of job satisfaction, feel a greater sense of achievement and job security, and are more likely to recommend their workplace than employees in non-employee owned businesses.
- Employee owned businesses operate in a range of sectors including healthcare, social care, education, transport, manufacturing, retail and professional services.
Employee Ownership Day is run by the Employee Ownership Association (EOA). For more information on Stride Treglown’s employee-ownership, please contact David Hunter or Stephen Dolphin.