Ffos Caerffili Market
Leading the way for the Caerphilly 2035 regeneration plan
‘Ffos Caerffili’, a new market and events space in the heart of the town, spearheads the Caerphilly 2035 Placemaking masterplan.
The scheme provides twenty-eight small-scale commercial units within shipping containers, and external space for an additional fifteen pop-up market traders. Seven bars and restaurants as well as space for outdoor music and events, mean the space will thrive in both a day and nightime context. The small-scale units, varying between 6m2 – 25m2 will support local traders in growing and expanding their businesses whilst also providing new employment opportunities for the town.
Located in the retail heart of Caerphilly, and on the pedestrian thoroughfare between the railway station and Caerphilly Castle, the market is in a key position to attract visitors, helping put Caerphilly on the map as an exciting and vibrant destination in South Wales
‘Ffos’, the Welsh word for ‘moat’, connects the market development to the adjacent castle and the town’s rich heritage. The material palette and branding references these themes with a contemporary visual aesthetic centred around a collection of heraldic patterns, inspired by the castle’s history.
Photo voltaic panels, green roof systems, a green wall, EV charging, rain-gardens and permeable paving all contribute to the sustainable credentials, and resilience of the design.
Each element of the scheme respects the Wellbeing of Future Generations Act, ensuring that sustainable development is built in from the outset, and follows these principles:
- Prosperous – Ffos Caerffili will bring a vacant town centre site back into use, provide new employment opportunities and contribute towards enhancing the vitality and vibrancy of the town.
- Resilient – the design considers the findings of ecological surveys and our landscape architecture will provide a net benefit to biodiversity.
- Healthier – the proposals provide a vibrant new addition to the town centre, providing access to a range of products and services in an location that can be accessed via sustainable means.
- More equal – the mixed tenure retail units provide an improved location and environment for small businesses to market services in Caerphilly.
- Cohesive Communities – this creates an attractive and safe new retail destination in an accessible, central location.
- Globally Responsible – the site makes use of vacant, previously developed land, while the proposed containers will be re-usable.
Work has commenced on site with completion set for Autumn 2023.