Carl’s biggest focus is education projects, but he also has a strong background in the hospitality sector and residential projects.
What is the current trend in education?
The current focus is on delivering high quality teaching environments. We’ve recently been involved with delivering a number of these projects, some on very limited budgets. These were successful because of the joy and excitement we managed to create. By introducing lots of colour, students have an exciting learning environment, and they can use the colours to find their way around the school.
What is architecture?
Every person in the world engages with buildings – the cityscape and urban design have become a part of our everyday lives. They don’t really realise how much of an interaction they have with architecture because it’s so commonplace. Some of the best spaces are successful without you even realising why. Architects have an important role in shaping future places for people to work and live in.
Who is your biggest career influence?
I spent quite a lot of my early career working for Will Alsop. His rather non-conformist attitude to design is still influential on my thought process.
What’s the best book you’ve read?
The Distant Land of my Father is an amazing book; it’s narrated by a woman retelling her father’s story, based in Shanghai. I lived in Shanghai for three years, designing and delivering a large commercial and retail project associated with the new cruise terminal, so naturally it intrigued me.
What advice would you give your 20 year old self?
Travel even more. Everyone in the office will laugh at that, I’m always planning my next trip.
- Cornish Ambassador – Cornwall Place Board
- Heartlands – The Cornwall Sustainability Awards 2013 (Sustainable Construction – Retrofit), Civic Trust Awards (Commendation), RICS South West & Wales Awards 2013 (Project of the Year), RIBA South West Regional Awards 2013, RIBA National Award 2013.
- Watergate Bay – RICS South West & Wales Awards 2013 (Tourism and Leisure)
- South Devon UTC – Michelmores Property Awards 2016 (Project of the Year with a value over £7m)
- The Deaf Academy – AJ100 Awards 2021 shortlist (Community Impact of the Year)