At Stride Treglown we have both licenced BREEAM Assessors and Advisory Professionals (AP). This advice note answers frequently asked questions about these two differing roles.
What is BREEAM AP?
BREEAM Advisory Professional is a qualification that demonstrates specialist skills in sustainability and environmental design combined with a high level of competence in the BREEAM assessment process.
Candidates who have successfully completed this training are able to use the BREEAM AP badge and are listed on the BRE Global Green Book Live website
What is a BREEAM AP’s Role?
BREEAM APs will provide the client and design team with expert advice on built environment sustainability, environmental design and environmental assessment. They will facilitate the design team’s efforts to successfully schedule activities, set priorities and negotiate the trade-offs required to achieve a high target BREEAM rating.
How does a BREEAM AP differ to an Assessor?
A BREEAM assessment is an ‘Assessor led’ process whereby members of the design team submit evidence to a licenced Assessor who checks the validity of the evidence against the appropriate criteria. This enables them to:
- Gather evidence with an auditable trail
- Write assessment reports for submission to the BRE
- Assign an accurate rating to a building
The Assessor’s role is therefore one of an auditor.
What additional credits are available for appointing a BREEAM AP?
For both 2018 and 2014 New Construction schemes up to three additional credits can be awarded as follows:
- First credit is available in the concept design stages to maximise BREEAM performance
- Second credit is available at the developed design stage to monitor progress and ensure the desired rating is achieved
- Third credit is for monitoring during the construction process to ensure BREEAM targets are being met
To award these credits a BREEAM AP must be engaged throughout concept design and have input throughout. This appointment is significant in attaining a higher BREEAM rating as the project not only benefits from the additional credits but also increases the chances of gaining high scores throughout an assessment.