Carbon neutral offices to house our own employees
Treglown Court in Cardiff is an office close to our heart; it houses over 50 Stride Treglown employees.
Tasked with providing a new working environment for our staff in Wales, 500sqm of sustainable office space have been created. The first office building in the UK to achieve a BREEAM Outstanding score at 89.12% (the highest ever), the building became carbon neutral with an EPC of zero following the installation of additional PV’s. We then applied for the Renewable Heat Incentive and now receive payments against our consumption.
Key sustainable features include:
- 106sqm mono-crystalline photovoltaic array on the roof and south facade
- A wood pellet 50kW biomass boiler, supplemented by a high efficiency 18kW domestic gas-fired boiler
- A highly efficient timber building envelope achieving a U Value of 0.11W/m2 degC utilising a Structurally Insulated Panel System (SIPS)
- Natural ventilation using a stack system
- Grey water recycling to flush WCs and all sanitary fittings are very low flow
- All major building elements are BRE Green Guide A and A+ rated
- A Building Management System controls the natural ventilation system and lighting, which is sensor controlled and zoned
- SUDS and a ‘Nature’ roof to attenuate rainwater run-off
Carbon neutral explained
Since its completion we have monitored the building’s energy consumption to check that the offices were achieving the carbon neutral status the design was based on. The results have been very informative. They show how a combination of high insulation levels for the fabric combined with technological measures internally can prove very efficient.
The building maintains a stable and quality working environment. Temperatures in the summer varies between 21 and 26 degrees C during a 24 hour cycle, assisted by night time purging, and during winter, temperatures are between 20 and 24 degrees C.
Treglown Court was officially opened on 13th January 2011 by Jane Davidson AM, Minister for Environment, Sustainability and Housing.